Creamy and warming, Broccoli Sweet Potato Soup will charm even the vegetable naysayers. This soup has a luxurious silky texture and all that without cream. Its mild and slightly sweet taste will have you asking for seconds.
Broccoli Sweet Potato Soup makes a light meal on his own or I sometimes like to serve it with an egg sunny side up, or a piece of grilled salmon.
This recipe is adaptable because you can substitute extra-virgin olive oil for the butter, and instantly you have a vegan version of this healthy soup. This soup is a staple in our home because of how simple and fast it is to make. Other soups I love are my Mediterranean Lentil Soup and my recipe for creamy tomato soup made using passata.
- Baking soda: Or sodium bicarbonate, is a key ingredient in this recipe. The baking soda creates an alkaline environment. When the pH is raised, the vegetables' cell walls soften more quickly speeding up the cooking time.
See the recipe card below for all the ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- Instead of butter, use extra-virgin olive oil, and you will have a Vegan Broccoli Sweet Potato Soup.
- Omit the cayenne pepper entirely or reduce the amount for less spiciness.
- Use vegetable or chicken broth in place of water.
Melt butter: In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onion, garlic and salt. Stir often until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients: Add the remaining ingredients, stir and with the lid on, bring to a boil. This should take 8-10 minutes.
Lower the heat: Once the soup has reached the boil, lower the heat and simmer with the lid on for 8-10 minutes or until the broccoli and sweet potato have softened.
Blend the soup: Remove the saucepan from the heat and blend the soup with an immersion blender (or blender, see note in recipe card), until smooth. Serve.
Secrets for Success
- Don't omit the baking soda because it speeds up the cooking time of the vegetables, so you don't risk overcooking them.
Storage & Reheating
- The Broccoli Sweet Potato Soup will keep for 3-4 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator or you can freeze it for 2-3 months.
- Leftovers heat up quickly in the microwave or a saucepan over the stove. If the soup was frozen, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat it in the microwave or over the stove.
For this recipe, peeling the potatoes is best because the skin will add an unpleasant texture to the Broccoli Sweet Potato Soup. And the skin may change the colour of the soup, making it less vibrant green.
📖 Recipe Card
Broccoli Sweet Potato Soup
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- measuring cups & spoons
- wooden spoon
- immersion blender or blender
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups packed broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
- 3 cups packed sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3 cups water
- toasted shelled pumpkin seeds
- micro sprouts
- a dollop of Greek yogurt
- Melt butter: In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onion, garlic and salt. Stir often until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.2 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 small onion, 3 garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Add remaining ingredients: Add the remaining ingredients, stir and with the lid on bring to a boil. This should take 8-10 minutes.1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 4 cups packed broccoli, 3 cups packed sweet potato, 3 cups water
- Lower the heat: Once the soup has reached the boil, lower the heat and simmer with the lid on for 8-10 minutes or until the broccoli and sweet potato have softened.
- Blend the soup: Remove the saucepan from the heat and blend the soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Serve.