Hello and Welcome
LadyPearTree is the namesake of this website. My name is Donna Poirier, i.e., Donna (meaning lady in Italian) and Poirier (meaning pear tree in French). My name represents my cultural background. Let me explain.
I grew up in a home with a strong Italian influence. My mother was a second-generation Italian Canadian, so the food and cultural influences from her background had a prominent role in our home. Vegetables, legumes, soups like my Italian Lentil and Barley Soup with Vegetables and pasta like this Hearty Marinara with Sausage stood center stage.
On the flip side, my father was born to a French Canadian father, and his mother was of British and Irish descent. Roasts, rack of lamb, plum pudding, and shortbread are foods I would eat when visiting my father's side of the family.
Finally, having grown up in Québec, Canada, and still living here, the cultural influences from where I call home are also prominent in my kitchen.
I love food. Whether it's the comfort food of homemade pizza, lentil soup, or smoked meat poutine, eating a bit of everything in moderation is my philosophy and the key to a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
I have been cooking for my family for over 30 years. I realized early on that cooking is therapeutic. Years later, I feel the same way.
Over time, I have created recipes that I have jotted down on bits of paper and saved in notebooks and binders. Now, I use this website to chronicle past recipes and formulate and create the recipes "du jour" (of the day).
My Biggest Fans
My husband and kiddos are my biggest fans. Though one kiddo has flown the nest, they are supporters of my cooking and recipe testers 😃
While sitting around the dinner table, it is not uncommon for me to ask my family to critique their food! Their opinions and constructive criticism help me develop tasty recipes I share on this website.
- I earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education from McGill University and pursued a business career.
- I completed various certifications at the Canadian Securities Institute and was an equity trader for several years.
- I left the world of business to be a stay-at-home mother, my favorite role yet 🥰
- I love watching Antiques Roadshow.
- My best pal is my dog, and her name is Lola.
- I can't walk by a shoe store without perusing the shelves.
- I'm not a big fan of ice cream.
- I save the elastics from the broccoli bundles. Does anyone else do that?
Ready, set, go! Let's embark on this cooking journey together. I love to hear your ideas and welcome your feedback.
Send your emails to [email protected]