Smash Burger Sauce is a harmonious fusion of classic condiments blended to strike the perfect balance of tanginess, creaminess and sweetness. The magic of this classic burger sauce lies in its ability to enhance the natural flavors of a juicy burger without overpowering it. It will become one of your favorite burger toppings. Burger lovers rejoice!
Whether you're grilling homemade burgers in your backyard or dining at your favorite burger joint (where this delicious sauce gained its notoriety from restaurants like Shake Shack or SmashBurger), this sauce can transform an ordinary burger into something unforgettable.
A drizzle of this perfect burger sauce on a traditional burger, a cheeseburger or more unique recipes like this one for Easy and Healthy Low Carb Cheeseburger in a Bowl made with ground beef will add that irresistible final touch! Let's get in the kitchen and make the best burger sauce.
These ingredients are staples and likely already in your refrigerator if you love a good burger! This sauce will soon become your favorite special sauce.
- I love Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise for the best flavor and creaminess.
- I used Heinz ketchup and French's yellow mustard.
- The pickle brine/juice comes from a jar of tangy kosher dill pickles.
See the recipe card below for all the ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- For best results when making this amazing sauce, use full-fat mayonnaise, but if you prefer, you can also use reduced-fat mayonnaise as a substitute.
- If you like a sweeter burger sauce, opt for sweet pickles instead of dill pickles, and use the sweet pickle brine too. Or skip the pickle entirely and add 2 heaping tablespoons of sweet relish instead of the diced pickles and brine.
- For a smash sauce with a bit more flavor intensity, substitute Dijon mustard for yellow mustard.
- If you like a hot and spicy burger sauce, add ⅛ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, a few shakes of your favorite hot sauce, or a few cracks of black pepper.
No special cooking skills are required, and not a lot of time. Just measure, combine and stir to create this creamy and delicious burger sauce.
Add ingredients. Add all the ingredients to a small bowl.
Stir. Stir well to combine.
Secrets for Success
- Dab the dill pickle with paper towel before dicing to remove excess brine so the sauce does not become too thin.
- I didn't use salt in this recipe because the condiments contain ample salt. Taste the sauce and add salt if your taste buds say it should be saltier.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Remember not to keep leftovers at room temperature for too long and refrigerate quickly after use.
- Don't freeze the sauce because emulsified ingredients, like mayonnaise, don't freeze well. They break and separate upon thawing.
A smash burger is a burger patty cooked on medium-high heat and smashed onto the flat surface of a hot cast iron skillet. The hallmark of the smash burger is the caramelized crispy edges (as a result of the Maillard reaction) that develop on the outer edges of the burger from smashing the meat onto a very hot griddle and cooking at a high temperature.
It's called Smash Burger Sauce because it's a smashing good sauce to serve with homemade smash burgers and regular hamburgers! While there isn't a standard recipe for this classic burger sauce, it often consists of mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, diced pickles, sweet pickle relish or lemon juice. The exact ratio of the ingredients can vary depending on personal preference. Other variations can include the addition of Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and apple cider vinegar.
Yeah, it does! When I concocted this recipe, its flavor reminded me of the secret sauce in McDonald's famous Big Mac.
This sauce is delicious as a dip for raw vegetables, French fries, and onion rings, to dress a baked potato or as a salad dressing drizzled over my recipe for Cheeseburger Bowls.
📖 Recipe Card
The Best Easy Secret Smash Burger Sauce Recipe
- small bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- ½ cup mayonnaise , I like Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle brine, pickle liquid/juice from the jar of pickles
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon ketchup, I like Heinz
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard, I like French's
- Add ingredients. Add all the ingredients to a small bowl.½ cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons dill pickle brine, 2 tablespoons dill pickle, 1 tablespoon ketchup, 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- Stir. Stir well to combine.